Saturday, March 4, 2017

FALSE START

Building a hot rod for me actually started WAY back around 1994 or '95. The internet was still mostly dial up, computers were slow and costly, online search was equally slow or non existent, smart phones didn't exist, digital cameras cost an arm and leg, most advertising was still hard copy ie. paper based. Car restoration parts were still in their infancy and expensive compared to today.
 A lot had to go into consideration for any kind of a chance for success: Finances, job security, family considerations, work space, storage area(s), tools needed and some kind of desired outcome and of course my skill level to do everything necessary to accomplish a build.
My ideal "hot rod" was the quintessential 1920's or '30's Ford Model T or A with all the late model car brakes, electrical, tires, wheels and of course some kind of "big" motor that a car nut would regularly see in HOT ROD MAGAZINE. Of course if you found a "survivor" Ford the seller wanted  a bundle for it as demand far outstripped supply. My "vision" was also to be DIFFERENT!
After a lot of searching locally and through AUTO TRADER MUSCLE  and CLASSIC Car sellers magazine I found a somewhat rare 1936 Dodge 4 door sedan shell located in Pennsylvania near Philly. It had no engine, or transmission but it did still have all the glass, lights, bumpers, most of the interior and the body was solid. The price was really fair @$750.00.  (I have included a pic of a complete 1936 Dodge to give you an idea of what I was considering. The picture is of someone's car that I found on the internet.) Being something of a Chrysler Co./MOPAR nut it looked really cool and different.
Many of the national magazines were showing builders using Chevy S-10, Ford Ranger and Dodge Dakota frames and sub-frames (partial frames) under old cars as a quick fix for rusted frames, modern brakes, suspensions and steering. That was to be part of the plan.
Ok so how do I see a car 450 miles away? As fate would have it, my brother lived only a few miles
away. After a few visits and phone calls, the Dodge was going to have a new home. I was going to drive to Philly, rent a trailer and TOW it home. BUT..................
Having lived and worked through basically, the de-industrialization of America, it jumped up and bit yet again. Three (3) days before I was set to drive to Philly I was laid off in yet another downsizing.
That made it six (6) times in 20+ years that I was " right sized', downsized", "leveraged", "ESOPed",
"bought out" and " company bankruptcy". I thought about long it and hard and cancelled the deal.
The dream on hold, AGAIN..............

No comments:

Post a Comment